Heroldsbach: Stork Cam
The community is located in the Hirtenbach valley, about five kilometers as the crow flies southwest of Forchheim. Heroldsbach is flowed through by the Hirtenbach, which is dammed to form several fish ponds. In the eastern neighboring community of Hausen, about 3.2 km from Heroldsbach, the Hirtenbach flows into the Regnitz.
The history of all parts of the municipality of Heroldsbach is closely connected with that of the former royal court in Forchheim, which was built around the year 750. In 1007, Heroldsbach was first mentioned in a document as "Herigoldesbach" (at the brook of Herigold). The village belonged to the royal court and was donated by King Heinrich II together with 14 other settlements to the newly founded diocese of Bamberg. From 1478 to 1849, the Barons of Löffelholz owned Heroldsbach Castle, a former forester's lodge. With the Reichsdeputationshauptschluss of 1803, the village became part of Bavaria. In 1923, the parish of Heroldsbach, which had already existed from 1405 to 1610, was re-established. The municipality of Heroldsbach was enlarged on April 1, 1971 by voluntary merger of the municipalities of Heroldsbach and Thurn.
An economic factor was above all the pond economy. A map from 1825 shows more than 150 ponds. Of these, about a hundred are still managed, even if their size has often shrunk somewhat.
Heroldsbach became known nationwide from the 18th to the late 20th century for its "Krenweiber" (horseradish women), who traveled throughout Bavaria in old costume and with large huck baskets, selling spices and tea.